Wednesday 25 November 2009

Why people travel PART II

From the Middle Ages to Romanticism, studying in another country was very popular.
Most of the students where men, whose goal was to obtain knowledge, which could not be obtained in their own country.



They were also expanding their language skills and learning to understand different cultures and customs. Maybe you did so as well ? What are your favorite places, cultures and countries? Why ?



In the end, those men were much better educated and different from those who never traveled and had no idea about what was happening in other places. King Henry Walezy saw a fork for the first time during his stay in Cracow. There he also saw a disposal the first time, which he ordered to mount in the Louvre after his return to France. Travels were also a great inspiration for writers.



Telling stories to simple people about distant lands, incredible creatures or strange rituals, gave the story-tellers a high position on the ladder of social hierarchy. It did not even matter if they spoke the truth. There were not too many people who could travel and check if the story was true. Do you think it works the same way in present times ?



Examples of such unusual journeys can be seen almost in every literature. Starting from the ancient journey of Odysseus to the Baroque Martin Borzymowski travel to Lubeck, and to the contemporary literature, which also has such motifs.



A specific case of travel is vagrancy. Admittedly, it is difficult to treat vagabonds as travelers, because such a lifestyle is often imposed by external circumstances. However, one can not underestimate the enormous number of places and situations in which these people had the opportunity to find themselves and things they had the opportunity to see.



Similar is the case of displaced persons, refugees and exiles, who typically, not of their free will, travel and shape their knowledge about the world. There have been many nostalgic books written on this topic. For example, the Polish Siberians’ book, written in the nineteenth century, dealing with the everyday life in the Far East of Russia, is still quite popular among young people. Hitchhiking may look a little like vagrancy.



But in this case we are dealing with tourism. With a desire for adventure and acquiring knowledge about the world at low cost. Such people decide to do it voluntarily, and are not compelled by their individual situation. By the way have you ever hitchhiked ? What were you purposes ?

11 comments:

  1. I have never hitchhiked, though I've always wanted. I had the opportunity to go on Erasmus programme to Dublin, but I had to stay in Poland then.
    I went to Ireland 7 months later on holidays and I was delighted. This country is one of my favourites, mainly because I...took a lot of beutiful photos there ;)
    I'm also impressed by Norway- it's a nice place of easy-going people, where everything works well and living seems so "normal" and peaceful (and of course Norway is full of great landscapes, waiting to be photographed :P). For me it's only too cold, I could live there from May to September.
    I'm not a big fan of arabic countries- they appear for me as unfriendly. Also I think there is something wrong in living in a big, rich hotel complex, when few km away people lives in poor little villages, have problems even with fresh water and earns yearly less than you spent on your one week trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I haven't visited many places. (but I'm planning to). I only visited some of our southern neighbours (Slovakia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria, Italy) few times. The most distant place I've ever visited was Australia. I spent there 2 months and visited many amazing places. I'd like to visit Southern America and Asia at most.

    I hitchhiked only two times as far as I remember. The first time was in Australia where I had to get to the airport. The second time was in Poland when I was getting from my hometown to Warsaw and the bus I was travelling broke down. For now, I don't travel a lot just because I don't have money for that. I'm waiting till I get a well-paid job so wish me luck ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The famous palm shaped artificial island(Palm Jumeirah) and other fancy builds made in dubai and united Arab Emirates. Almost made financial crisis on the world..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have visited many places. My best memories are from Greece and Spain where I used to spend the biggest part of my holidays (1 month in Spain and 2 weeks in Greece) during the past years.

    According to Spain I love its food and its inhabitants attitude to life- everything tomorrow ;). Spain has also many remarkable places to visit as Granada, Madrid, Cordoba or Malaga and what is more important beautiful beaches and sea.

    Greece is also one of my favorite direction due to its interesting culture and monuments. However, the greatest thing there is mild but warm climate and amazing sea- warm, clean and limpid sea, particularly in the islands like Kos or Crete.

    Unfortunately, now I'm working and have to wait for such long holidays till retirement =(

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are a lot of overpraised places in the world. For example: Pyramids in Egypt, Statue of Liberty in NYC... Nothing special for me, that don't impress me much.

    When i was on 'work and travel' program in USA, I have visited many places. I seen Niagara Falls, Grand Canyon, New York City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Chicago... Two places in USA that really impressed me: Manhattan and Grand Canyon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't decide which of places I visited was the most astonishing but I know one place that is really worth visiting - Japan.
    Photos:
    http://www.japan-guide.com/a/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to visit sunny european countries like Italy,Spain or Portugal :) I dont like at all Muslim countries beacouse i can't understand Muslim culture..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hitch-hiking is kinda fun, although it is not recommended to travel alone ;) I have hitch-hiked couple of times, when I was younger – to the golf course situated near Olsztyn where I used to work, other time to my friend’s summer house.

    My brother’s ex girlfriend used to hitch-hike a lot. Once she travelled to Spain along with a friend. The whole trip took her nearly a month – she has seen & visited number of places she surely wouldn’t while travelling by a plane or a bus. Plus she never bought a single ticket. Now, that’s impressive :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Btw. You posted some great pictures! Make me want to travel some more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never hitch-hiked and I do not plan to. I am not sure why, but I find it too dangerous for me - maybe its because I do not trust strangers.
    I've seen some interesting places, but the ones that were most amazing were in USA. I spent there nearly half a year. Huge cities like NY, LA or LV made a great impression on me. I like this kind of architecture. In addition to this, seeing natural monuments like Great Canyon or Niagara Falls made that trip probably the best in my life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The only time i hitch-hiked was a few years ago during my trip in Bieszczady. My girlfriend and me were waiting by the road for quite some time already and finally a car stopped. It turned out it was a young german guy (about our age) who was making a trip around Poland, we talked a lot when riding and made a few suggestions on place worth visiting. Apart from this one time I never hitch-hiked again.

    ReplyDelete