Tuesday 3 November 2009

Camera - how does it work?

This week the main theme will be photography.

I’m sure all of you know the topic somehow – probably you make photos by yourself, maybe you’re interested in a photography as an art, or you just pose for photos ;) In any case, I hope this weeks posts will be interesting for you.


Let’s begin with the basics: how does camera work?

It all started about year 900, when device called camera obscura (latin for „dark room”) was invented. Look at the scheme below: camera obscura is a box with interior painted black and with a tiny hole in one side. Light passes through the hole and produces smaller and upturned image on the opposite surface.

If you put a light-sensitive material (it can be photographic film or electronic image sensor like CCD or CMOS) where the image is reproduced, you will construct a simple camera :) Of course it’s not that easy, there are few other things that make this device work properly, like correct distance from the hole to the light-sensitive material, mat and transparent plate in front of the light-sensitive material, proper size of the hole, etc.

The last one should be small enough to make the light rays intersect in one point. If it’s not, it will affect the sharpness of the image. But making a small hole means that not much light will get inside the box and the light-sensitive material won’t be exposured to it enough, or time of exposure will be very long. To become indepent from the size of the hole, in 1550 Girolamo Cardano installed the converging lens at the front of the box.

Converging lens works like this:



As you see, the light rays intersect in focal point. Distance from the center of the lens to its focal point is called a focal length (f). The longer focal length is, the larger magnification and a narrower angle of view the lens have.

But drawing nr2 is only the theory. In practice the light rays run like this:



This phenomenon is called spherical aberration and it occurs due to the increased refraction of light rays when they strike a lens near its edge, in comparison with those that strike nearer the centre. To avoid blurring of the image, the focus regulation mechanism was installed. It simply moves the lens, so we can be sure that its focal point is situated exactly at the light-sensitive material.

There are also many other aberrations (deformations) that occur in lenses, like for example chromatic aberration, coma, astigmatism, flare, vignetting, etc. To avoid them, constructors started to use more than one lens. Last two optical defects I mentioned are not always undesirable – even Photoshop has filter which enables adding flare or vignette to your image, apart from filters that remove them ;)

Using more lenses allowed to construct zoom – lens with the ability to vary its focal length.

Below you can see how it works:



I haven’t mentioned about one very important thing- aperture. It’s a mechanism used to control the amount of light reaching the film or image sensor.




Lar
ger value of aperture means smaller hole, what gives us large depth of field.

What is depth of field? It is the portion of a scene that is sharp in the image. In some cases we want to have the entire image sharp, in other cases we want the depth of field to be smaller, to emphasize the subject and de-emphasize the background and foreground.



In combination with variation of shutter speed, the aperture size will regulate the film's degree of exposure to light. So, for example, a slow shutter speed will require a smaller aperture to avoid excessive exposure. It will make the subject blured if it’s moving and will give us a large depth of
field.




If combinations of
shutter speed and aperture size don't give us the expected effect, we can help ourselves with additional light, tripod or by changing the sensitivity of light-sensitive material we use.

That's all for today :)

Write in comments some basic information- what do you think about photography, are you interested in it? Did you know how camera works or was that something new for you?

All images are from wikipedia.

10 comments:

  1. Starting my post I must say that I just love photography! In my opinion it is a very good idea for a topic. For me photography is not just about taking photos (with currently advanced cameras everyone can make a good shot). It also involves some photoshop work to do before printing a photo. Currently I have a bunch of shots im my collection that can be bought on fotolia stock. I interest with photography for a few years by now, but I did not have any idea that this art is so old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You presented really interesting portion of information. I've always been into photography but not in such a detail. While reading your post I started thinking of creating my own camera obscura - I wonder whether that would be possible. I've found some sample description how to do this: http://www.fecalface.com/SF/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=441&Itemid=92. Sadly, it's true that having one of those up-to-date cameras almost everyone can take a really good photo. However, still we have to remember that photography is not only about good camera and photoshop as Krzysztof said but, most importantly, it is about art, idea, and photographer's curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I counstructed my obn camera obscura with mr Szklanny during the photography course in our school. It's not complicated, just be careful with calculating the time of exposure when making photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like photohraphy but I don't think of it as an art. I'm interested in photography and I treat it as a hobby.

    Do I know how camera works? Now I do ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also treat photography as a hobby. I have few cameras, my favourite one is very old and "crappy" Lubitel-166 Universal from 1984. It very simple camera but it gives be lot of fun ;]
    If you are interested this is wiki page about my Lubitel:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubitel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I'm the only who appreciates photography not having a camera. I always enjoyed taking photos with my friends' cameras, however I have never considered buying one on my own. I'm the type of person who likes to document everything that happens in my life neither do I have a proper feel and touch in art to come up with some classy pictures :)

    However, I really enjoy watching quality pictures on the web or magazines. For those who appreciate the beauty of female body - I strongly recommend visiting "akty" section @ plfoto website.
    visit: http://plfoto.com/galeria,akt,0.html

    You'll find lots of top-notch pictures there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I hate take pictures :P However I like to watch HDR pictures. I think that pictures are very interesting and artistic.. Have You ever takes HDR pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make lots of photos, however most of them are only to picture the moment and have no artistic value. Although I have some technical knowledge about photography I prefer to make shots using "Auto" program. When I was younger I used to make some fun using long exposure or HDR photos but since everyone has "cool" camera and internet is full of those photos, I quit :) Lastly, I prefer to make short movies but unfortunately, it takes too much time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My knowledge of the physics and technology behind the camera was rather limited prior to reading this post :)
    When it comes to making photos, I'm a 100% amateur. I'm not too crazy about it either, but I like to think I can appreciate a good photography.
    The thing I hate most about photos is having having someone make them of me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like taking pictures, because you have to have a camera with you all the time. For example when you are visiting a new city you will have to carry your camera all the time with you, because you don't know when there will be something interesting and you will want to take pictures of it, you certainly don't want to miss it right? Sometimes I like to watch photos from places I have been or from parties, but usually those are not taken by me. I don't mind if someone else does it.

    ReplyDelete