Wednesday 16 December 2009

The problem of bullying - Part 1

What is bullying?

Bullying is a common feature of everyday life. It can be observed at schools, in the workplace, in the home, in the sports field or in the playground. Mainly, in all the places where people interact with other people.

By definition, bullying is the wilful, conscious desire to hurt another person and put them under considerable stress by inflicting physical, psychological or emotional injury or discomfort. Such behaviour is most common among students.



Who are bullies? Why do they exist?

Bullies typically are aggressors whose physical or psychological power surpasses that of the bullied person. The bully may be tougher, bigger or capable of excluding the weaker person from a social group. Bullies are known to seek emotional and physical superiority through intimidation of their victims. Bullying behaviour stems from complexes or weaknesses that bullies themselves possess.

Aggression of this kind may also result from physical punishment used by parents who in so doing teach their children to react physically to every problem that they cannot handle. Bullies usually satisfy their needs to be in control. They enjoy upsetting other people or taking revenge on them, which they consider to be a compensation for their own faults and imperfections.



How do bullies treat other people?

Patterns of bullying do not differ much in many places. The most common forms of bullying are: physical and psychological (verbal).

Physical bullies build up their self-esteem by dominating other people physically. Hitting, kicking, punching, damaging or stealing the victim’s property constitute typical examples.

Psychological (verbal) bullies call their victims names, insult them, make racist comments, tease or threaten them. Psychological bullying may also take the form of spreading offensive rumours, convincing peers to reject somebody’s friendship, ridiculing or stalking them.

Discussion proposals:

1. Is there a bullying problem in your environment? What forms does it take?
2. Is anything being done to prevent bullying in your environment?
3. What steps would you advise to take to combat bullying? Suggest a plan of action.

8 comments:

  1. Now there is no such problem in my environment, although I've experienced it before.

    In my opinion bullies can do what they are doing because they think no one will penalize them, this problem should be solved by installing security cameras and introducing real penalties for bulling, not just lowering mark from behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I observed this problem in primary and secondary school. In high school it was marginal.
    I think it occured because teachers didn't know how to react. When they tried to protect the bullied child, sometimes it lead to increased agression.
    Maybe teachers should be better prepaired for this kind of situations - by some courses after or during their studies.

    Currently there is no problem with bullying in my environment. Now I know how to react so I don't think it would be a problem anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been victim of bullying but when I was at primary school and then
    secondary school I saw that some ones from older classes were bullying guys from
    first class. I think that it's miserable. Bullers are always a group of people but face to
    face they aren't really so tough. In secondary school which my cousin goes there are
    cameras in every corridor but still only weapon against bulling is to lower a mark
    from behavior – it makes no effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is extremely senseless and those who bully others have, as mentioned in the article, problems with themselves seeking some superiority over others. It stems from complexes and weaknesses. Definitely someone should take care of the problem. If not parents - maybe school authorities ? Unfortunately it seems that the problem is neglected and even 'doesn't exist' officially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that this problem occurs mostly younger people. The older we are, the more aware of our actions we are.
    I think, it would be extremely hard for authorities to deal with this problem. There has always been conflicts between stronger and weaker or those who learn more and those who are lazy. I guess there is no chance for this problem to disappear and the only thing children can do is just survive it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that bullying is a problem that affects millions of children's between 10-17 years old ,rather students or older people. Parents, teachers, and other adults don't always see it, they may not understand how extreme and painful bullying can get... In my opinion bullying its the worst and dangerous problem in school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't remember if I have been bullied in school but I think I wasn't really. Not that the problem didn't exist - I just wasn't a kind of person who would allow anyone to bully me ;)

    Dealing with bullying is very difficult, but in my opinion only in case of inteligent bullies. Those brainless teenage macho-bullies are not a problem in my opinion. My mother as a head of a school and she deals with this kind from time to time. Mostly informing the Police and organising some awareness cources along with them sort out all the issues ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my view problem of bulling concern mainly primary/high school environment. I remember some kids being bullied in my primary school but since high school I haven't really experienced any manifestation of bulling so it is hard for me to tell how to fight with it. I'd agree that this kind of behavior should be prevented by school authorities.

    On the other hand, I can imagine bulling at work - and this is much worse as mostly people who works, with some live experience, should be considered as mind-stable and tempered, and if they are not, there would be a little we can do about it probably. And in my opinion universal solution doesn't exist for this kind of bullying - one's would have to find his/her own.

    ReplyDelete