Saturday 12 December 2009

Global Warming - a myth? Part III

In this part I'd like to discuss a costs of fighting global warming, both economical and social.
Fighting global warming means lowering carbon dioxide emissions so I will give you few examples:

Biofuels and other alternative energy sources
Biofuels are one of the ecological fuels proposed by environmentalists as their CO2 emission is lower, however there is a cost, and is not only higher cost of petrol for cars and trucks which means higher cost of everything in the economy but also higher prices of food as farmers sells their products for biofuels for higher price. While this might not be a big problem for average citizen of EU or US, poor people might have troubles and it might be even more problematic in Africa where hunger has already caused many deaths. In case of other energy sources such as wind or solar energy their efficiency at the moment is very low and using them will increase energy prices which will have impact on entire economy.

Birth control
Some environmentalist have suggested creating restrictive birth control systems like the one in China in order to lower world population as every man causes carbon dioxide emissions so the lower population the lower emissions. I don't want to think what might be the next step in this 'crusade'.

Economy
Have you wondered why businesses don't oppose global warming movement?
I think person who can give an answer is Robert Gwiazdowski - economist from Adam Smith Centre in Warsaw, here is a video interview with him (unfortunately in Polish) :




In short rich western corporations can make their competition from the poorer countries go bankrupt by imposing CO2 taxes\limits which only rich corporations can afford as they can move their CO2-heavy production abroad.

Questions

What do you think about economical aspect of global warming?

Do you think Poland should agree on introducing CO2 limits and taxes?

6 comments:

  1. As I mentioned before, it seems to be a new way of earning money, big money. Mr Gwiazdowski said this is also a way of getting rid of competition which probably is true. There are many standards concerning environment created and put on companies but production costs don't have to be lower. I heard that even emission of CO2 during new environmental-friendly bags production is exactly the same as it was in the case of traditional plastic bags. The only difference is that megastores are paid for these bags while they weren't in the past. Everything is about money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is for me only an economical aspect. Just look for companies like FORD. They made
    so many new cars which supposedly don't destroy ozone layer – are they really
    working? We will see it in a long future but now they made on them huge money. I
    don't agree with an idea with children. It will cause more problems than benefits.
    Population will get older, they won't be enough people work. And if somebody
    "makes a child" by an accident – how will pay for this? By branding Durex? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Błażej I agree with You its always "Everything is about money." Its sad and scary but its realy true.. Big companies newer paid for contaminating
    its alvays paid "Mr Kowalski" in taxes, plastic bags ect...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree that the global warming phenomena is probably exaggerated just to take money from people. Currently, for me it has a very small impact, but the thing that annoys me the most are plastic bags. I really do not like paying for them. I take exactly the same amount as before, but now I have to pay a little bit more. Sure, it is only 0,05PLN or something like that. When I think how many bags I buy and how often and then multiply it by the number of people doing shopping the total value becomes huge. I think those small charges everywhere paid by everyone makes someone very rich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I have mentioned in my previous post, suffice it to say that it's all about money. Unfortunately I take it for granted as well as Błażej, Michał and Maciej.

    About the possible introduction of CO2 limits and taxes - I think it's not very possible to happen as it's not a big concern of Polish society - which by the way is not well educated on the topic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly, I have to agree with you and wild horses wouldn't drag me to believe that all those new and shiny bags in markets are going to save our planet. However, new bags are really great - there are bigger and stronger. The only thing is that I don't always have one with me so if, for instance, I'm getting back home and decide to step in to buy some stuff, I simply have to buy another bag. For the moment I have about 12-15 big and strong bags at home. And I'm not sure about this number in next year...

    ReplyDelete