Friday 22 January 2010

Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction

PULP FICTION

Following the success of 1992's Reservoir Dogs, Quentin Tarantino released his finest film to-date, the self-proclaimed masterpiece Pulp Fiction. It is arguably the most influential of the last few decades. It is known for its rich, eclectic dialogue, ironic mix of humour and violence, non-linear storyline, and host of cinematic allusions and pop culture references.


Pulp Fiction marked the new-wave, avant-garde cinema, it became recognised for its vigorously exciting flavour and unfathomable cool. Revolving around a deconstructed narrative, composed of three stories, which are all insanely surreal, Pulp Fiction brings you inside a world Quentin Tarantino has successfully crafted through individuality. The film starts with a lavishly entertaining conversation of tension and wit between two robbers, one being Tim Roth and the other being Amanda Plummer, who kick-start the film with furious energy. This scene is then followed by the infamous conversation of Amsterdam and burgers between the justifiable "cool" of Jules (Samuel L. Jackson) and Vincent (John Travolta).


The film's title refers to the pulp magazines (inexpensive fiction magazines) and hard-boiled crime novels popular during the mid-20th century, known for their graphic violence and punchy dialogue. Pulp Fiction is self-referential from its opening moments, beginning with a title card that gives two dictionary definitions of "pulp". The plot, in keeping with most of Tarantino's other works, is presented out of chronological sequence.


The cast of this film is truly excellent. Travolta got nominated for best actor at the Oscars but lost out to Tom Hanks (who truly deserved it as Forest Gump but, imo, not as much as Travolta did as Vincent Vega). The character of Vincent is a scum bag but Travolta's performance makes him lovable and funny and likeable. Sam Jackson also puts in a stunning performance (check out the referenced scenes).


Sure, Pulp Fiction is undoubtedly one of the "coolest" and "hippest" films around. Nevertheless it holds much, much more than that. The film stands as a piece which depicts the psychology of normal people who have been thrown into extreme circumstances, meaning their personalities have changed along with their situation. The film has countless recurring themes, such as redemption, vengeance, spirituality, morality, individual morals, and a person's mannerisms





@ Pulp Fiction: Vincent telling Jules about hash being legal in Amsterdam & a different metrics system in Europe – both on their way to assassinate bosses’ debtor




@ Pulp Fiction: My favourite and one of the most memorable scenes in the film -




@ Pulp Fiction: Restaurant scene.




This is without a doubt, one of the finest movies ever made. It has an Oscar winning script, great characters and some career performances from Jackson, Willis, Travolta and Thurman. The movie is so clever and well thought out, even though some people find it confusing. I say ‘rubbish’! The structure of this film is one of the things which makes it so good and original. When put in chronological order, the story makes complete sense, the structure is not a gimmick. Needless to say, the score (music from the film) is marvellous!


I could talk this film up all day but I won’t :) I you haven’t seen it yet, I strongly recommend you do. You'll see for yourself how films should be made.


Discussion topics

I wonder what is your reaction to high rate of violence in Pulp Fiction. Isn't it too messy and bloody in your opinion?

Do you find Tarantino's Pulp Fiction type of humour funny and original?

Also, could you please name your favourite director and his best movie?

5 comments:

  1. 1) In Pulp Ficiton there is no violence, there is only Tarantinism :) I mean it's something else, the ludicrous, mocked violence.
    Saying that "Pulp Fiction" is brutal is like saying that in Peter Jackson's "Braindead" is to much blood.
    2) I think anwser nr 1 speaks for itself ;)
    3) One of my favourite is Aronofsky's "PI".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pulp Fiction is considered as one of the best movies ever and I agree with this statement. There have been many quotes and scenes that became became "legendary". However, I find Tarantino's movies very different. Some of them are great and some I could not watch to the end. The one I think was also great is "Grindhouse: death proof" although I cannot say way. I just liked it... and of course "Kill Bill" series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion comparing „Pulp Fiction” with “Kill Bill” is equal to comparison of “Quake” and “The Sims”. I really liked the usage of blood and brutality in “Pulp Fiction”, but “Kill Bill” went far beyond the extremes. I have a lot of favorite movies, now it is hard to choose the best. I am the fan of movies like “The matrix”, “Doom”, “Silent hill”. Recently I have watched on blue ray “Constantine” with “Neo” as a main character and I recommend that movie. I would also like to admit that the leitmotiv of those movies is fight, war, blood, power and DEATH. So I don’t take a jaundiced view of bloody productions. When I was a child the first game I played was “Doom 2”, I can still remember the joy of sawing humans into two parts. I just don’t share Tarantino’s sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to say that Pulp Fiction is a "violent" movie becouse it's a "Tarantino's" movie :DD. Becouse it's directed by Tarantino you can either lover or hate it.

    My favourite director is James Cameron and I like the most the two Terminator movies that his directed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tarantino once said: "Violence is what makes movies good"
    If your watching a movie with lots of violence in it you can be skeptical, but if it's a Tarantino movie it's whole different story. Tarantino is stating that he encourage on violence in movies to encourage audience's feelings. Tarantino: “If a guy gets shot in the stomach and he's bleeding like a stuck pig then that's what I want to see — not a man with a stomach ache and a little red dot on his belly.” I like Tarantino, still i think he's movies are much to violent but if this is director vision i just watch and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete