Saturday 9 January 2010

Father Christmas: human or alien ?

Name and history

Father Christmas is a symbolic character representing a good spirit of Christmas. What’s surprising, Father Christmas wasn’t a gift-giver or he wasn’t associated with children. The person we all are referring to as Father Christmas is actually Saint Nicholas, a real character of a gift-giver from the church history. Culture clashes merged both characters eventually, even though historically they have different origins. Now, people consider both of them similar or even identical.

Human or alien

The most basic information about Santa Claus: he’s pretty fat, travels in flying sleigh pulled by flying reindeer, enters home through a chimney and exits through a fireplace. His elves manufacture toys for him.

How is this all even possible. Flying sleigh pulled by flying reindeer sounds more like a flying saucer than like any human engineered aircraft. He enters home through a chimney, then how does he enter a home without one? How does he fit in the chimney if he’s so fat? Maybe some sort of a teleportation device? Elves manufacture toys for him, but how? Where do they get all the necessary materials, how do they manage to produce all the toys they need? Elves have to be aliens or they don’t exist at all since no one has ever seen them.

Either way Santa Claus possesses some sort of alien technology to perform all of his extraordinary duties or he doesn’t exist at all. You choose the option that fits you best.

Father Christmas Origin (highly recommended if you’re in a bad mood)

Rare Exports Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JIz7I5yzwQ

Rare Exports Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z4OvK3Vn44

Different views on Santa

Evil Santa - http://mondoglobo.net/images/evil-santa.jpg

Kindly, round bellied white man in red coat trimmed with white fur, with long white beard - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b5/Santa-eop2.jpg/200px-Santa-eop2.jpg

Discussion topics

1. Do you believe in Santa? Justify your answer.

2. Do you like to see Santa everywhere during the Christmas time? Does that annoy or maybe calm your nerves?

3. What do you think of the Rare Exports movie? Do you think it’s an interesting idea? Why?


This is the final post of our moderation week.

Thank you all for your comments =)

Maciej Świda & Jakub Tumanowicz

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. No ;) Nice idea but absolutely not probable.

    2. Oh God no! It's so annoying - poorly disguised man smiling only to convince you (and your kids) that you need to buy more and more for christmas. And how stupid they think the kids are- Santa should be one, in Lapland, so what are 10 Santas doing in supermarket?!

    3. Great movies and very funny idea. I don't know what to write more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1)No :P
    2) Personally I don't care, but it's free market and if there is a demmand then there must me a supply.
    3)I've seen this movie already but it's still very funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once, when I was a child, I wrote a letter to Santa Claus (to Rovaniemi in Finland) and guess what? He wrote me back and send me a colorful letter written in different languages with some little gifts and so on. That is why I deeply belive in Santa Claus :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg! You ruined my vision of a Santa Claus! I deeply believed in his existence but now... :(

    I find it nice to see Santas all around during Christmas time. It creates the atmosphere, the same as sparkling lights, Christmas trees and so on.

    What I don't find nice are these Rare Exports movies. I just don't get them. They seem to me quite boring and with no greater idea. That's just my opinion. ;>

    Merry Christmas everyone! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately my inherited intelligence didn’t let me ever believe in such a drool like Santa Claus. From the youngest years of my life I knew it was my father who was giving presents while I was sleeping. Santa is symbol of Christmas not only for children. His appearance builds a specific Christmas atmosphere all over the world, but not necessary in Poland. Pretending Santa is fun not only for children but also for the adults who can show that a part from their childhood still sleeps deep inside them. Absolutely I don’t have anything to the plague of Santa’s. It always enhances my mood when I see overgrown Blood Elf with beard and smile from ear to ear. By the way my nephew is also Mikołaj. But he never gave me anything – mingy little brat. As far as movie is concerned unfortunately my smartphone does not support you tube.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly. I agree with Krzysiek on the fact that Santa is not only for children, but also for their parents. I find it a positive feeling when people smile on the streets while passing (dressed up & sometimes not fully sober) santas :)

    I like the way these export movies are made, thanks for publishing them!

    Merry xmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) Nope, I'm too old for that ;]
    2) I agree with Michał's opinion about free market
    3) I enjoyed watching Rare Export movies, thank you for posting them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Do you believe in Santa? For Santa no, I dont Believe :) For Santa's idea Yes.

    2. I think its not good especially when we can see "Santa" in 1.11 in markets :)

    3. I think its good add.. for us.. not for children..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really, when you asked the first question, did you think that anyone will say that he believes in Santa? I remember the day when my cousin told me that he doesn't exist. It was a trauma :)
    I find the idea of Santa really nice, but when I think of all those children that one day will realize that it was all a fake...
    I like seeing him during Christmas shopping or walking on the streets unless, as mentioned before, it is on November. Unfortunately, I did not manage to watch the whole movie as I am sitting at work and get disturbed but it seems really funny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did when i was young. Then my parents ruined everything :) I think you should lie to kids about santa. I'd rather talk to my kids seriously that Christmas is all about giving joy and happy, and I'll by them a present because it'll make me happy to. It's better that way than my kids finds out from his colleague in school that santa is a myth

    ReplyDelete